This article is intended to highlight some of the more important areas to focus on when you are trying to avoid being scammed by credit repair companies.
Some main factors in CROA
- CROA Compliant companies accept fees only after work is completed, this includes setup fees
- CROA Compliant companies will never promise or imply specific score, deletion, or time results
- CROA Compliant companies will always provide you with federally mandated disclosures
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Companies with experience will use many strategies and tactics to remove items from your reports
- Companies that are very successful at removing items know that they have to dispute with the bureaus, original creditors, collection agencies, and third parties
The next thing you can do to make sure you are working with a good company is to try to determine the companies primary motivation. Obviously every company is in this business to earn a living but they should also be motivated by your success.
- Are they focused on getting deletions for you? are they selling you a letter writing service or results?
- Do they limit the number of items they dispute? Are they doing this for your benefit or is it stretching out the time you will be with them?